Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Baby Mayhem

Well, it's been a long time since I've done this. Let's see if I remember how this goes...

As one or two of you may have noticed, I've been off line for the past couple of months. I blame the new addition to the family. So let me do this all formal like (clears throat): General Disarray and Professor Chaos proudly introduce their daughter Baby Mayhem. Of course she's a couple months old so it's not like she's brand new or anything, but she's new to you!

Baby Mayhem has already taught me much about work/life balance strategies. 1) It is critically important to become an effective multitasker. The number of issues I've dealt with over email while nursing, pumping, or holding a sleeping baby who refuses to rest anywhere but my lap? Innumerable. 2) The multitasking bestfriend of nursing mom? the iPhone. I cannot even fathom surviving the past few months without it. I can email with one hand and cradle a nursing baby with the other. If you are an academic planning on having a child in the near future, I would strongly recommend getting an iPhone or iPhone equivalent.  And if you love reading books (and have an iPhone), the amazon kindle app is a must. I've already read two books on my iPhone and am well into a third. And with a shortcut to your google reader, you can even keep up with all your favorite bloggers. My reader has never been so empty. And when your brain refuses to do anything useful during that 3 am feeding, there are always the cool games. I'm really fond of Flight Control right now

Of course, none of that is science, but I have hope that with a little more efficiency (and getting my stupid tenure binder finished) it will become so in the not too distant future.  In the meantime: Viva Baby Mayhem!

22 comments:

Professor in Training said...

w00t! Congrats to you and General Disarray on Baby Mayhem :) Very glad to hear all is well. We've missed you around these parts.

Eugenie said...

Yay congrats!!

Patchi said...

You should definitely contact the iPhone people - that would make a great ad!

Congratulations!

Odyssey said...

Congrats to you and General Disarray!

ScientistMother said...

oh congrats! Happy to know all is well and just has it should be. I read about 4 books within the first month of monkey being born. What else is one to do when stuck nursing all night/day...

PUI prof said...

Congrats and best to you all.

Comrade PhysioProf said...

w00t!

yolio said...

yay for baby mayhem.

ScienceWoman said...

Woohoo and congrats! The iPhone won't get any less useful as Baby Mayhem gets a little older. Minnow will now let me do just about anything in the same room, while she plays, *except* read a book, grade papers, or work on my laptop. But she tolerates the iPhone...

drdrA said...

Excellent- congratulations. I'm glad to hear everyone in the family is well!

Hearing you tell it- I'm not sure how I survived motherhood without an iPhone. twice. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Welcome Baby Mayhem! Congrats Chaos and Disarray. jc

Amelie said...

Congratulations :)

Candid Engineer said...

Yay! Congrats to you and your husband on the addition. Welcome, Baby Mayhem. :)

Professor Chaos said...

Thanks everyone! And thanks for sticking with me through the long silence!

Pardon the conciseness. This comment was sent from my kick ass iPhone.

Liberal Arts Lady said...

Congrats! And good luck with the new addition!

Karina said...

Yay! Glad to hear your blogging voice again.

I think of you every time I look at Google Analytics and see all of the traffic that comes to my blog from yours.

I hope to read more great blogging from your iphone!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Congrats!

Drugmonkey said...

Welcome MiniChaos Baby Mayhem!!!!!!

Prof-like Substance said...

Congrats Prof. Chaos! If only they made an iPhone ap that fed the baby at 3 am, then you'de be talking. Things get better once that middle of the night feeding starts getting skipped. One night you'll wake up at 3am and say "something's wrong! The baby's not crying!"

Word Verification = restying: something I hope you are getting a chance to do.

JaneB said...

Glad to hear all is going well, and that iphones really do have some use other than waving at other people and saying "I'll just look it up on my IPHONE" really loudly in meetings! :-)

Arlenna said...

Yay baby!!!! It's really exciting to hear about science professor women having babies. :)

Nat Blair said...

Yay, congratulations to you and General Disarray!!!

Be sure to keep us informed as Baby Mayhem fully grows into her powers!